UOW's Global Challenges Program is a strategic research initiative that is focused on transformative interdisciplinary research that touches people's lives and changes worlds. This program is designed to harness the expertise of world-class researchers to address complex, real-world problems – to transform lives and regions.
Research with impact
At UOW we’re transforming the way we do research.
Now in its fourth year, our challenge-led interdisciplinary research program is all about the people and the projects.
We nurture projects, collaborating with industry, government, institutions and other universities to foster a supportive research community to drive social, economic and cultural change.
With over 330 researchers collaborating on 60 interdisciplinary projects we're approaching global issues in a myriad of ways. With the aim of transforming lives and regions, we take a global view by tackling challenges paramount to our local region but with the potential to make a difference on a larger scale.
Find out how we are transforming the way we do research and making real-world impact.
To contribute to a national and international discussion on challenge-led research, the Program leaders have written a whitepaper on Challenge-Led Interdisciplinary Research Programs. In this whitepaper we reflect on our experience of funding interdisciplinary research and the successes and challenges since investing in the Global Challenges Program in 2013.
This approach broadens the application of disciplinary expertise, stretching beyond disciplinary comfort zones to meet a shared challenge. We do not profess to have all the answers, but we are committed to research excellence with a passion to transform lives and regions.
Key to the success of the Global Challenges Program:
- We fund riskier projects and support teams who haven't worked collaboratively before.
- We're passionate about true collaboration using diverse expertise to find answers, together.
- We don't fund and forget. We support people and partnerships to ensure every project is given a chance to succeed.
- We actively identify and invest in the next generation of research leaders.
- Our research not only produces scholarly outcomes, but delivers tangible outcomes with impact.